What to Do If You Break a Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb

Compact fluorescent light bulbs use less energy and last six times longer than normal bulbs, but they can be dangerous. The mercury that is contained within them is poisonous to people and pets because it affects the nervous system. If one breaks in your home, you should get out of the area quickly and turn off any forced air to prevent it from spreading. It is important to get all of the pieces. Do not use a vacuum, which can spread the vapor. Once all of the pieces are picked up, store the trash outside the home.

Key Takeaways:

  • There are lots of pluses to using compact fluorescent light
  • Fluorescent light can be dangerous when broken due to the mercury inside
  • If you break a fluorescent light bulb, it is very important to make sure you remove anything that may have come into contact with the pieces. Do not use a vacuum.

“The bulbs can be dangerous if they break. While any broken glass is dangerous to people and pets, CFLs come with extra risk. That’s because they contain mercury, which is poisonous to humans’ nervous systems.”

Read full article here

Share Post:

Leave a Reply